Sunday, January 9, 2011

Treasure

Tonight, I received a treasure. A treasure that some might look at and not see it's worth. I know that when I brought it home, Christopher gave me a look that said, "Are you serious?" But this treasure is invaluable to me. It is a family heirloom five generations in the making.
These piles of fabric may look like a pile of scraps to the untrained eye. These piles to me are stacks of gold, rubies and sapphires. These stacks are quilt pieces that were hand cut by my Great-Great Grandma Bess. There are hundreds of them, some of the sewn together already- by hand. Many more of them are still unsewn.
These pieces were intended to make a beautiful quilt, but unfortunately, Grandma Bess passed away before she could finish. I never met Grandma Bess as she died before I was born. I remember stories, the large picture of her in her wheelchair in my great-grandma's hallway, and the many hours Seth and I spent racing around Ma-Ma's basement in Grandma Bess' wheelchair.
After Grandma Bess died, my great grandma took the pieces, intending to finish what her mom hadn't. Ma-Ma didn't finish either, and they were passed to Granny, who gave them to mom. Tonight, I received the large bag of quilt pieces, and no gift given to me could have made me happier. I am beyond excited to begin piecing these together and hope to do as much by hand as possible. There are enough sewn together already to make one quilt, and enough pieces to make at least one more. I have something very special planned. I hope to get Kate involved as sewing these together by hand is something she can help with, making this a project that has passed through the hands of six generations.

I have truly received a gift.

No comments: