Monday, January 16, 2012

We can't have just a lay-low day

I pictured today as a fun, low-key day for us with no school. We'd wake up and have pancakes, we'd bake cupcakes, we'd make flubber, and build some more Legos. It started out OK, but by 10:00, Preston was complaining of pain under his left rib cage that hurt when he breathed deeply and bent over. Soon, it radiated across his entire chest under the rib cage. A call to the dr. followed and they wanted him in to rule out a broken rib (that could puncture his lung).

Let's back things up a bit first. Friday afternoon, he came home from school with the beginning of a cold. By bedtime, he was a mess and one look at him told you that he didn't feel well. Saturday morning, he was pretty congested and coughing some, but not bad. Then at 2:30 Sunday morning, I hear this horrible cough and a minute later, he's got me up saying he was going to throw up, and he did. I figured it was from the cough/drainage. I got him settled in bed again only to be woken up at 4:30 with more vomiting. Lovely. By morning, he was his normal self and continued to eat, drink and play like any other day. But when he started with this pain this morning, I was a little afraid it was pneumonia. With his asthma, that's the last thing he needs. I tried to listen to his chest, but couldn't hear anything- not exactly easy to listen ear to chest when you already can't hear to begin with!

So we wound up at the dr. early this afternoon and they were able to rule out pneumonia. His chest sounded clear and his pulse ox was 97. She didn't think it was a broken rib, either. What she thinks happened is that he pulled a muscle either coughing or from the vomiting- she said it sometimes takes 24-48 hrs post injury for the pain to set in. I didn't know that! Of course, we're on watch and see just in case it's something else, but right now it looks pretty mild.

Once we got home, we did get to make the flubber which was a huge hit, and Preston and I decided immediately that we'd make some for his valentine party at school. I'm in charge of the whole deal and have to come up with activities, crafts, designate what people bring, etc. It wasn't exactly how I pictured our day, but we just can't have a day without some excitement!

No comments: