Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cast iron skillet

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm linking up with Tiffanie for her product of the week today. My product is the Lodge cast iron skillet. Mine is the lovely 10 1/2" square pan below. They come pre-seasoned, so they're ready to go.


Isn't she a beaut? I know what you're thinking- those things are a pain to clean/season. Yeah, sometimes, but if you take your cooking seriously, this pan will change your life. It makes the BEST fried chicken. It comes out so crunchy and yummy. The kids always used to complain that "Granny's fried chicken is better," but now they beg for it! It also makes excellent cornbread when you preheat the pan and add butter (or that reserve of bacon fat in your freezer...) to the pan before adding your batter- it makes the outside super crunchy.

Trust me, cast iron pans are well worth the effort. Plus, with the right care, this pan will be passed to Kate some day and then hopefully her daughter, and who knows how far down the road it will go!

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

Pineapples and Pickles said...

Thanks for sharing. I was just telling my dad on NYE that I needed a cast iron skillet. I was kind of hoping he would offer his up... crazy thinking, huh?

Unknown said...

Cast Iron is the way to go. We received ONE during our wedding showers & plan to stock up through the years. THey are pricey but well worth it.

Good share! :)

Alyssa said...

I have wanted a cast iron pan for years!!! I never thought to do fried chicken in it! That sounds delicious!!

Ginny said...

Girl I thought I was the only one that still used these. I actually have 2 (a large one and a small one to make cornbread with). They were actually my grandfather's and my mom gave them to me once he passed away. And you are correct...they fry up the best darn chicken!! Love your blog and I'm a new follower.

www.ginnybrumback.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Very nice! I am loving all these kitchen gadgets!

dottie said...

We don't have any of these. Maybe we should branch out. The kids may actually like our food. Ha, ha!