Our garden has been more than plentiful this summer and it's been wonderful! Pa set up a fence around the main garden and it has helped to keep out the critters- that and the Christmas lights and the radio blasting Christian talk radio all night! I told Granny the reason we have such an overabundance it because of the radio. We have Holy veggies!
This is just part of what was picked tonight. There was enough lettuce to fill 3 gallon ziplocks. There are 4 bell peppers, several banana peppers, a few new potatoes for the green beans, and one of the zuchinni. The green beans you see are just one gallon of two that we picked.
We've got green beans running out of our ears! Pa and I both planted a row of beans (we like different varieties) about 25 feet long and they have both been producing beans like crazy- sometimes 2 gallons every other day! We've both picked at least 15 gallons of beans from each row- that's 30 gallons of green beans! I have 4 gallons in my deep freeze and have given the rest of them away. I need to find a home for the ones from tonight!
Something else we have coming out of our ears are cucumbers. I have to find a home for these. Pa picked 20 yesterday alone! In the past week, we've canned 12 pints of lime pickles and 12 pints of Claussen style pickles. Granny's crisper is full of some waiting. The plants have at least 10 that will be ready to pick tomorrow and close to 30 more blooms! We're planning on making some more lime pickles this week. It's crazy! And to think, I almost planted more earlier when I didn't think any of our seeds would come up. Glad I didn't!
I can't wait for the tomatoes to ripen! Trust me, there are TONS! I don't think I've seen that many before! We'll be canning like crazy when they're ready! And if we get any rain, our corn will be doing really well, too! We're in the middle of a moderate drought and everything is so dry. We haven't had rain in so long and there's no chance in the next week, plus it's supposed to be in the 100's already this week. Pray for rain! The only upside is that we don't have to mow, although our yard is brown and ugly- not too pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment