Friday, June 1, 2012

All is well

Today was our big double dr. appointment day that I haven't been too crazy about.  Usually, I look forward to Preston's ENT appointments, but with Kate's appointment looming in the afternoon and everything we had to do between the two, and keeping the kids happy, I was just ready to get the day over!

The best news we could have gotten today was that his tubes are STILL IN!!!!!  Thank the Lord!  I had been dreading them being out before our trip since the day we decided to go- while sitting in recovery the day he got them in October.  I feel so much better knowing his ears should fare well with a week in the mountains.  Mine won't, but as long as his are OK, that's what I care about.  I told him about the incident in March when his tube plugged and he immediately started up with pain/pressure/couldn't hear, and he just said that proves he's not ready to be without tubes yet.  Nice...  I also discussed his recent sleep apnea episodes and we're supposed to monitor him until he goes back in Dec.  I have to determine if they are "startle" responses or obstructive.  Two to three obstructive episodes in an hour is not good, but "startle" episodes are fine (adults can have 10 an hour).  His tonsils are big but not "terribly impressive", so he doesn't want to do anything with them now and have to go back and do new tubes in a few months.  Now, had he taken them out when he took the adenoids 3 years ago (doesn't seem that long ago), we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kate had her 13 year well check today and she's doing really well!  She's just an inch shy of being as tall as me.  She's going to pass me up!  She had to get a shot that the State decided was necessary before the next school year starts and didn't even flinch!  And she puts up the worst fight at the dentist?  Really, I'm thankful that it went well because after waiting an hour and a half, I wasn't up for a fight.  It was just too long for the kids to be there after already having to sit through one appointment.  And Kate has to have her hearing tested.  Sigh...  I've noticed recently that she's not hearing as well as she should.  I don't know how much is just being 13, or if she really can't hear.  When she tried to repeat things I've said, she's not even close to what I said, and today she couldn't hear me talking to her in the car with the radio off.  But with my hearing loss and my family's history, Dr. B. felt it better safe than sorry and wants it checked out.  It never ends!

I'm looking forward to a low-key weekend.  I do have to wrap up some loose ends for our trip and maybe start packing.  Kate's only been bugging me to do that every day for the past 2 weeks...

No comments: