Thursday, June 28, 2012

Better today

After yesterday, today was much better.  Kate's still in a good amount of pain, and Motrin and Tylenol just don't cut it.  We had a rough moment today during the library program when it went longer than expected and she was due for more Motrin.  We had to scoot on home ASAP to get her next dose in.  Probably the hardest part is eating.  She can't chew because of the pain- even marshmallows and bread are unbearable for her.  And do you know how hard it is to find soft foods for a child that's allergic to dairy?  We went to IGA today to look for more stuff and all we came home with were more popsicles and some oyster crackers that she can "smash on the roof of her mouth."  She's went through an entire pint of her Tofutti dairy-free ice cream, and we can't buy it in town.  She hates jello, hates oatmeal- really, she's always had a strong dislike for anything with that texture.  I'm hoping she starts being able to eat more soon!

Other than her recovery, we're pretty much trying to survive record breaking temps and we're set to cross into severe drought within the week.  I was watching the forecast tonight and the lowest temp in the next week is 101, with absolutely NO chance of rain.  When I went to get the mail today, I noticed wide cracks in the yard and I was able to stick all of my fingers into the cracks up to my hand!  Everyone's lawn is crispy and brown, leaves are falling off of the trees.  It's absolutely crazy.  Dad, Annette and the girls are camping this weekend in the heat and we're invited out Saturday for dinner and I think we'll have to pass.  It was still over 100 tonight at 6:30 when I went to help Pa pick corn.  And with Preston's ear infection, getting in the lake isn't an option.  And on the upside of that, his ear hasn't drained in a few days, so it looks like the drops are doing their job!

No comments: