Sunday, February 6, 2011

Give me a break

What was supposed to be a "dusting" of snow early Saturday morning turned into about 4 inches. WHAT IN THE WORLD? I can tell you that I was not a happy camper. Not to mention that it was PReston's last day of bowling league and we couldn't get to town. Boo! Just another nuisance this winter. Mid morning, Granny called to say that mom had been trying to get up her hill for an hour but could get no traction since the county had not come to plow/sand their hill. My grandpa had tried to blade the road with his tractor with no luck- there was still 2 inches of ice under that snow. Finally, she parked at the neighbor's and he drove her up the hill in his 4-wheel drive and she was home. Shortly after, the county truck came up to plow/sand and got stuck. They called another and it got stuck, too! They both had to be pulled out. The kids had been begging to go up to Granny's that afternoon to sled, but after mom getting stuck, there was no way we were trying to get out. I am officially DONE with all of this snow.

Friday afternoon I took the kids up to Granny and Pa's to sled. They had been sledding behind the mule, but never downhill. Trust me, we've tried, but we've never gotten more than 10 feet, and the kids just didn't enjoy it. Well, with 2 inches of ice and just a dusting of snow, we could really sled! Pa got out his old Royal Racer runner sled that's at least 65 years old and we had a blast going downhill on that. We really booked! We'd get near the bottom and I'd yell to whichever one was with me to bail and they'd bail before I plowed into whatever was in my way (barbed wire fence, brush pile, the woods, water spigot). It was a blast! I had only used that sled one other time in my 31 years and it was fun to share it with them. It's not that often we get ice to use it. We hoped to go up again the next day, but with the snow that fell, I knew we wouldn't be able to sled like they wanted. Nor did I want to get stuck. ;)

I am praying that the kids have school tomorrow. Country roads still aren't that great. Granny and Pa's hill tonight was still ice covered in spots. They are at each other's throats constantly, and I'm about to go nuts! I need a day of peace!

No comments: